Everyone knows cigarette smoking is the leading cause of lung cancer in the United States.
But do you know what the second leading cause of lung cancer is?
Is it second-hand smoke? Is it smog or some other pollutant in our air supply.
It's not. It's something you might not have ever heard of.
And what's worse is that your home could be filled with it, poisoning you and everyone else in your home, without even realizing it.
The second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States is radon.
Radon is an odorless, colorless, tasteless, naturally occurring radioactive gas.
When inhaled into the lungs, radon can damage your DNA and increase your risk of lung cancer.
Exposure to radon gas, which enters your home through cracks in your home's walls and foundation, can dramatically increase your risk of lung cancer.
Every year in the United States, about 21,000 people die from lung cancer brought on by radon poisoning.
Radon is the leading cause of lung cancer among non-smokers, and people who smoke or who have smoked have a higher chance of developing lung cancer if they are exposed to radon.
The lung cancer risk from radon exposure occurs over many years of high-level exposure. For more information read our blog post: "How Long Does it Take for Radon to Give You Lung Cancer?"
It's entirely possible to be exposed to radon for several years - even decades- because there's no way to know your home has radon unless you test for it.
And many people never test for it because they don't even know it exists.
In the article below, we will talk about the dangers of radon and the importance of having your home tested.