How to Choose The Best Radon Contractor
Radon Testing and Mitigation are highly specialized trades, which makes selecting the right Radon Contractor a challenging decision.
Since radon is a common and serious issue, selecting the reputable radon mitigation contractor is an important decision.
That's why, in this article, we have included 6 tips to help you find a qualified contractor to meet your needs.
You get what you pay for. Read our blog post : "Why You Shouldn't Choose a Radon Company Only Based on Price." here!
Table of Contents
What Should you Look for When Choosing a Radon Contract?
- Is the Radon Contractor Licensed
- Did the Contractor Provide a Free Written Estimate
- Is there a Guarantee?
- Is there a Warranty for the System?
- Is the Job Being Completed in One Day?
- What Happens after the Installation?
- Why Choose Radon Eliminator?
- Schedule a Free Mitigation Estimate
What Should you Look for When Choosing a Radon Contractor?
When deciding which contractor to choose for your Radon Testing and Mitigation services, it is important to keep the following questions in mind:
1. Is the Radon Contractor Licensed?
When you contact a radon company for testing or mitigation services, it is important to first find out if they are licensed with The Ohio Department of Health.
If a contractor is not willing to provide their company license and their own personal license number upon request, you should not use them for your radon services.
Even if the company license is provided, you still want to make sure the individual who is performing your testing and mitigation services actually went through the training and certification process.
The last thing you want to do is hire a contractor who never went through the necessary training courses to become a licensed radon testing professional.
2. Did the Contractor Provide a Free Written Estimate?
If you call for a mitigation estimate, the contractor should always be willing to provide you with an over-the-phone verbal estimate, followed up with a written estimate sent via email.
Once the contractor is familiar with the layout of your home, they should be able to provide you with a written estimate of the installation cost along with a detailed description of how the system will be installed.
Sometimes a technician may request to come to your home to better understand how the installation will need to be completed, however, depending on the location of your home to the main office, the on-site estimate may also be free.
If a firm price cannot be established before the work is started, it may suggest a lack of experience and you may want to look elsewhere before proceeding with the installation.
An experienced radon mitigation contractor should be able to provide you with an accurate price of an installation as well as radon testing.
Often times high radon levels are found in the basement. Read our blog post: "Does Radon Stay in the Basement?" here.
3. Is there a Guarantee?
If you are having a radon mitigation system installed, more than likely your radon levels were at a 4.0 piC/L or higher.
The EPA recommends radon levels to be lower than 4.0, which means if you are having a system installed you want to make sure it is guaranteed to bring your levels lower than 4.0.
If the radon mitigation contractor will not provide this guarantee in writing, you are risking spending a substantial amount of money on something that may or may not work.
A quality radon mitigation contractor will have no problem offering you this guarantee in writing, stating that their system will drop your levels below the 4.0, or they will come back and do whatever needs to be done, at no additional cost to you.
4. Is there a Warranty for the Mitigation System?
Before having a radon mitigation system installed it's important to find out if the system comes with a warranty. You will want to know how long the warranty lasts and whether or not it is transferable from one homeowner to the next.
Normally, the fans that are being used should come with a third party, manufacturers warranty. This should be given to you encase anything electrical goes wrong with the fan.
The manufacturer should provide you with another fan, and the company that did the initial install should be able to swap the fan for you at no additional cost.
5. Is the Job Being Completed in One Day?
The majority of radon mitigation systems should be installed and completed in one day. The time to install a system can range from 3-6 hours depending on the type of system that you are having installed.
An expert installer will be able to finish the job quickly conveniently and on time. They will also be sure to leave your home in the condition that it was in before they arrived.
6. What Happens After the Installation?
After your installation is complete, you will want to know if the radon levels are reduced. So, you will also want to make sure the mitigation contractor is providing a test to ensure the levels have dropped.
The contractor should either provide you with a test kit that stays in lowest level of your home for 48 hours and is then sent to a radon testing lab for analysis, or they should leave a continuous monitoring system that they will pick up 48 hours later.
Either form of testing is completely sufficient and will show you whether or not the levels in your home have dropped below the EPA recommended action level. The technician should also be able to provide you with a data copy of the test results for your record.
Why Choose Radon Eliminator?
When you are choosing which radon contractor to use for your testing and mitigation services, there are several reasons why Radon Eliminator should be your Top Choice for a Radon Contractor choice:
- We are a Licensed Company with Licensed Employees: Our radon testing and mitigation specialists are licensed with the Ohio Department of Health and will provide their license information upon request.
- We Provide Free Written Estimates: When you contact Radon Eliminator for a mitigation estimate we will provide you with a free estimate over-the-phone, as well as a written estimate that will be sent to your email.
- Our Mitigation System Installations are Guaranteed: This means, if for some reason the radon levels in your home do not drop lower than the EPA recommended action level of 4.0, we will come back and do whatever needs to be done to bring the levels down at no additional cost to you.
- We Provide Post Mitigation Testing FREE of Charge: When your installation is complete, we will leave a testing device to ensure your levels are brought below the EPA recommended action level of 4.0.
- Our Company is Fully Insured: Our quality insurance will cover the cost of any unforeseen damages that could potentially occur during the installation process. This means if anything becomes damaged due to our installation we will fix or replace it at no cost to you.
If you are looking for a Radon Contractor, our team is ready to assist with your testing and mitigation needs.
Our technicians have the training and experience to complete your installation and post-testing services in a timely and efficient manner.
Let us be the Radon Company for you, whether you need radon testing or mitigation services, we are licensed and prepared to assist in any way we can.
We offer Discounted Radon Testing and Free Mitigation Estimates throughout Ohio.
Click below to schedule an appointment with our Ohio Radon Contractors today.