Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas you can't see, feel taste, or smell.
As people become more and more health-conscious, they want to be aware of anything that could be harming them.
People want to be able to eliminate anything that can cause harm or disease so they can live healthy, full lives.
So, when they hear about something colorless, odorless, and tasteless, that can potentially cause severe health problems, they need to know everything about it.
That's just what radon is, and it can cause severe health issues if not dealt with properly.
We'll take a look at that and more in the article below.
Radon gas is a known carcinogen, which means it can cause cancer, in fact, radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States.
This invisible, odorless, and tasteless gas if found in both soil and rock that we build our homes on. Radon is in the air that we breath around us, however, outdoor levels of radon are relatively low, and do not posses a health risk due to exposure.
When radon leaves the soil and rock from beneath a home or building, it seeps inside and becomes trapped, causing much higher concentration levels than the outside levels, which is why there is a potential health risk of breathing in and living in a home with high concentration levels of radon.
Most Ohioans have to keep all of their doors and widows shut for the majority of the year. Whether it is because of extremely cold weather, or very hot weather, most people are not able to air out their home 24/7.
Even if windows are open for a short period of time, it's not enough to keep high concentration levels of radon from returning after several hours.
This leads many people to wonder, what exactly is an acceptable level of radon?
For us Ohioans winter is quickly approaching, and for most of us, we have probably already bolted up our homes and turned on the heat. With our homes sealed and the heat on, there is not much air flow from outdoors to indoors. So what does this mean?
Radon is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless radioactive gas that comes from the natural decay of uranium found inside soil and rock.
Radon escapes from the soil and rock beneath the earth and finds its way into homes through openings and cracks in the foundation. Once inside, it becomes trapped, and in some homes it can accumulate to very high levels.