Radon Testing for Commercial Properties
Radon is a radioactive gas that is produced naturally and released into the atmosphere by rocks, soil, and water.
It can accumulate
Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States, killing more people every year than drunk drivers.
In order to determine if your commercial property contains elevated levels of radon gas, you will need to have it tested by a professional.
The radon testing process for commercial properties is very different from a residential radon testing. It is important to hire a licensed professional with commercial testing experience to ensure the process is completed properly.
Radons not just a problem for commercial properties, but can be dangerous for homes as well. For more information read our blog post: "Can Homes Be Resistant to Radon?"
Table of Contents
- Conditions that Need to be Maintained during Testing
- Commercial Property Testing Process
- Hire a Radon Testing Specialist
- Why Choose Radon Eliminator
What is the Radon Testing Process for Commercial Properties?
There are certain conditions that need to be maintained during the testing process to ensure the validity and accuracy of the test results.
If the property is occupied, the following conditions will need to be made clear to provide the ideal environment during the testing process:
- All doors and windows need to be kept closed for a minimum of 12 hours prior to the tests being dropped off. Testing cannot be completed if the specialist arrives and the windows are open.
- Only normal entry in an out of the property is permitted, doors should not be held open for long periods of time.
- Testing devices should only be touched by a licensed professional. If the tests have been moved or tampered with in anyway, the testing will be invalid.
- No large fans should be utilized during the testing process.
- Any non-essential equipment that supplies fresh air should be turned off during the testing process.
- Fireplaces should be kept off and closed while testing is taking place.
The licensed specialist will make sure to explain this procedure to the property owner as well as any tenants living the building to make sure testing can be completed as scheduled.
Once these conditions have been met, the specialist can begin the process of setting up the radon testing devices.
The size of the property and the number of rooms in the building will determine the number of testing units needed in order to obtain accurate results.
- A radon testing kit will need to be placed in each unit or room inside of the building.
- The test kits will remain in the units for a minimum of 48 hours collecting data.
- When the 48 hours are completed, the specialist will return to collect the devices.
- The test kits will be sent to a Radon Testing Lab for analysis.
- The day the kits are received at the lab is the day the results will be processed and sent.
- Once the results are in, the specialist will provide a detailed report with a complete explanation of where to go from here.
It is important to note that not every testing device will have the exact same results. It is very common for there to be elevated radon levels in one part of the building and not another.
The licensed testing specialist will provide the property owner with a detailed explanation of the radon removal process if the testing comes back elevated and radon mitigation is needed.
Hiring a Radon Testing Specialist
Making the decision to have your commercial property tested is a big choice.
When you are looking for a company to complete radon testing for your commercial property you want to make sure of the following:
- Does the company have experience with commercial radon testing?
- Does the company have the proper license to complete radon testing?
- Is the company insured?
- What type of testing device will be utilized?
Why Choose Radon Eliminator?
Radon Eliminator is the Top Radon Testing and Mitigation Company in Ohio.
Our testing specialists are all licensed with The Ohio Department of Health and having the necessary training and experience to complete commercial property radon testing and radon mitigation services.
If you own a commercial property and have never had your building tested, it not too late.
Make sure you are not putting your potential customers at risk, have your property tested by a licensed company to make sure you are providing a safe environment for the people who spend time in your building.
Contact Radon Eliminator today for discounted Commercial Property Radon Testing.